To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Jillian Fisher, Senior Director of Community Impact at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Title: AmeriCorps VISTA – Neighborhood Opportunity for Wellness (N.O.W.)
Reports To: Senior Director, Community Impact, United Way of Greater Topeka (UWGT)
Job Level/Status: Exempt
Division: Community Impact
Job Summary: AmeriCorps VISTA will maintain partnerships and implement cross-sector programs within the community. The VISTA will be responsible for becoming familiar with community anchor institutions to continue engaging and facilitating the necessary actions to implement, evaluate, promote and report grant-funded activities related to the Neighborhood Opportunity for Wellness (N.O.W.) initiative. Additionally, the VISTA will passionately demonstrate strong communication, engagement, and project management skills in the execution of assigned responsibilities.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
Support current N.O.W. priorities (engagement, safety, health, education, advocacy) including, but not limited to:
- Opening and closing buildings for programming
- Providing administrative support (materials, meeting set-up, etc.)
- Coordinating requests for trouble shooting for current programming
- Regularly canvassing the neighborhood promoting events and programming
- Distributing flyers and key pieces of information
- Participating in door-to-door programming in order to engage residents
- Maintaining effective communication with residents via regular updates to N.O.W. Facebook page and monthly newsletter
- Support the N.O.W. Resident Advisory Board with events and other tasks as needed
Provide support and technical assistance for existing programming to include but not limited to:
- Identifying volunteers to assist with resident led cooking and exercising classes
- Community gardens maintained by youth
- Workforce development and resident resume and interview workshops
- Budgeting classes provided by external stakeholders
- Expansion of messaging tactics for the wellness clinic located in Pine Ridge
Expand the work by building on components of five vision areas, including increasing advocacy efforts and mobilizing residents around issues that affect them directly, to include but not limited to:
- Continued improvement in the safety and health of the neighborhoods (improved lighting, walkability, etc.)
- Continued improvement in educational outcomes for both youth and adults
- Giving residents opportunities to use their voices to effect change within in the larger community.
The VISTA will also:
- Assist in the evaluation of programming by maintaining appropriate data to help determine program impact.
- Work closely with UWGT Resource Development team to help identify and respond to opportunities for sustained financial support of the project.
- Work with UWGT Community Impact team and Director of Communications to track and accurately report on the success of the project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Some college credits with two to three years of relevant experience in advocacy/community organizing, preferably a B.A. or B.S. in a relevant area along with advocacy/community organizing experience
- Understanding of community health issues
- Experience building and managing complex coalitions
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder relations skills with an ability to identify new strategic partnerships among key organizational stakeholders in the community
- Demonstrates initiative
- Strong analytic thinker
- Passionate about social justice with a respect for underrepresented populations
- Excellent writing and communication skills with an ability to present information to different types of audiences
- Experience in all aspects of program management including planning and evaluation
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders including grassroots groups and advocates
- Commitment to excellence and to the missions of United Way of Greater Topeka and Topeka Housing Authority
- Ability to be flexible with scheduling and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Personal, reliable transportation
- Ability to provide valid driver’s license and proof of insurance
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.