Project Coordinator – Pathways to a Healthy Kansas
Shawnee County, KS
Salary Range: $40,000-$43,000
Position is housed at United Way of Greater Topeka and reports to the UWGT Vice President of Community Impact.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to HR@unitedwaytopeka.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
The Project Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of the day-to-day activities of the Pathways to a Healthy Kansas grant in Shawnee County, Kansas. The position will provide support to the Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods coalition, in coordination with the coalition’s leadership, workgroups, partner groups, and Community Health Planner. This position is funded for a four-year term.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree from an accredited college/university in public health,
organizational leadership, community development, health sciences, health promotions or a related field.
- One to three years of grant or project management experience.
- Experience working with the community on health-related programming and initiatives.
- An equivalent combination of training, education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Project management and grant administration skills.
- Knowledge of community processes, including: assessing needs, developing action plans, implementing effective community initiatives, policies and practices and evaluating their efforts for outcomes.
- Knowledge of the Social Determinants of Health and their implications.
- Knowledge of health disparities and health equity in the implementation of community initiatives.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and uphold cultural humility principles.
- Ability to build capacity by engaging a broad range of community sectors.
- Ability to record data and complete documentation within established guidelines.
- Ability to develop reports, create presentations and effectively communicate findings to both internal and external audiences.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate basic computer skills. Ability to learn new computer applications and software as needed.
- Willing and available to work a flexible schedule (evenings, weekends, etc.) as needed.
- Provides management and oversight of all aspects of the Pathways to a Healthy Kansas grant in collaboration with the Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods coalition and the Community Health Planner.
- Serves as liaison between community groups working to accomplish Pathways initiatives, ensuring that all parties involved have accurate and up-to-date information.
- Works with coalition members and the Community Health Planner to provide support and ensure the implementation of the grant’s action plans.
- Monitors the grant budget ensuring ongoing expenditures stay within budget guidelines.
- Monitors outcomes and sustainability of grant initiatives.
- Reviews data on community initiatives’ effectiveness and develops continuous quality improvement efforts to ensure sustained implementation.
- Evaluates programs for effectiveness in meeting action plan goals and objectives.
- Attends all Pathways required conferences, trainings, and webinars.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Community Engagement and Coordination
- Establishes rapport and maintains relationships with Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods
members, community stakeholders, and the Community Health Planner.
- Identifies resources available in the community to meet Pathways action plan needs.
- Develops and sustains community partnerships to support Pathways initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with the Community Health Planner and coalition members to implement Pathways action plans.
- Engages in the community’s broader health improvement processes that tie to specific Pathways action plans and initiatives.
- Interacts effectively with diverse populations and ensures that programs and services are culturally appropriate for the priority populations they are designed to serve.
Reporting and Evaluation
- Works with supervisor and Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods leadership to develop internal
metrics and deliverables.
- Tracks process and outcome data on Pathways initiatives for the purposes of continuous monitoring and evaluation.
- Maintains an evaluation plan for the Pathways to a Healthy Kansas grant. Generates grant reports for the coalition, funders, and community stakeholders as needed to fulfill grant requirements.
About Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods
Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods (HHN) was established in 2008 as a grassroots community health coalition in Topeka and Shawnee County, Kansas. The mission of HHN is to “mobilize the community to take action on health priorities so that policy, environment, and practice influence a culture shift towards health and wellness for everyone in Shawnee County.” The coalition convenes monthly workgroup and leadership meetings to mobilize people, ideas and resources around topics and issues identified in Shawnee County’s Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) and Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP). HHN believes the opportunity for health begins in the communities and neighborhoods in which we live, learn, work, and play. HHN strives to convene and foster cross-sector partnerships so that together, as a community, we can lead action towards a healthier Shawnee County.