Join Our Team
to apply please send a cover letter and your resume via email.
An important note about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at UWGT
To truly Live United, we must commit to placing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the forefront of our work, internally and externally. A successful fight for the education, financial stability and health of every person requires that we listen to, learn from and amplify the voices of those who are most in need and those who have been traditionally underrepresented. We recognize that everyone in our United Way community brings value to our mission. We understand every employee, donor, volunteer, partner and stakeholder brings different experiences, perspectives and expectations. We respect and encourage insight and participation from all. We actively promote a variety of voices among our staff, volunteer committees and Board of Directors, and the non-profit community. We commit to being curious and courageous in how we communicate with each other. We do so in a constant effort to grow and move our community forward together.
Until the fight is won…
Creating and cultivating an unbreakable network of support for a strong, healthy, and equitable community.
Job Title: Director of Donor Experiences and Legacy Giving
Reports To: Vice President of Resource Development
Job Level/Status: Exempt
Division: Resource Development
Salary Range: $35,000-$40,000
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Primary individual responsible for soliciting gifts from donors at the Tocqueville level ($10,000) and above, along with legacy gifts, and applying for private grants
- Together with the Vice President of Resource Development, develops and implements a strategic plan that draws resources from multiple public and private sectors-corporations, individuals, foundations, government, and nonprofits
- Serves as manager for implementing the strategic plan specifically as it applies to Major Gifts, Grants, and Planned Giving
- Implements the “case for giving” based on target audience interests, supporting facts, data and perspective
- In conjunction with the CEO & VP of RD, personally visits with potential donors to understand their needs and passions, leverage their gift and communicate appreciation
- Prepares and maintains accurate records, reports and materials including database information
- Takes the lead in the identification and development of non-workplace campaign related revenue opportunities:
o Grant writing
o Major Gifts (Tocqueville Society)
o Planned Giving
- Develops/maintains relationships with key stakeholders and donors
- Prepares, analyzes, researches and reviews data for use in reports, presentations, graphs, etc. for accounts
- Represents UWGT at community events and, as required, speaks on behalf of UWGT
- As a Resource Development team member, assists with workplace campaign as needed
- Collaborates with Community Impact and Volunteer Engagement staff to plan events, and steward donors appropriately
- Serves as an advisor to the Women United donor affinity group; including overseeing the emergency grant process in conjunction with the Women United Steering Committee, membership activities, reporting, and other activities to aid the growth and stewardship of the Women United program
- Serves as lead advisor to the Always United donor affinity group for retirees, including overseeing materials for the Always United Steering Committee, membership activities and other outreach activities
- Plans, executes and evaluates Quarterly Donor Investor Meetings, and other donor stewardship events
- Keeps up to date on best practices for fundraising, Major Gifts and Planned Giving through webinars, trainings, and literature and shares that information with Resource Development Staff
- Responsible for developing and maintaining United Way of Greater Topeka’s Corporate Sponsorship Guide
- Completes special assignments and projects as needed
- In collaboration with the Communications Director, must have the ability to appropriately present information and data in written, electronic, and oral forms to diverse target markets
- Must have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, meeting deadlines and attending to details
- Must have the ability and desire to meet, develop relationships, and work with a variety of people
- Expected to have a commitment to excellence and to the mission of UWGT
- Must accept and abide by UWGT Code of Ethics and confidentiality requirements, along with the Association for Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Standards
- Must accept and abide by UWGT Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Guidelines
Initiates, builds and continuously strengthens relationships with all customers, internal and external, by constantly seeking, understanding, and responding to customer needs and wants.
Acts and Thinks Strategically
Is guided in all work by UWGT’s mission, vision, and strategic goals. Ensures that UWGT’s plan of work and allocation of resources are aligned and deployed with UWGT’s strategic direction. Continuously monitors interim and final results to measure progress, adjust tactics, and evaluate success, and set future goals.
Takes initiative, maintains a persistently focused effort, remains goal and results oriented, and continues to improve. Sets daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual project goals; creating specific plans to meet them.
Communicates in an open, candid and consistent manner; delivers information effectively in a variety of settings including one-on-one, team settings, and diverse group presentations or meetings. Delivers information effectively in a variety of formats including letters, memos, analytical reports, grant proposals, and presentations.
Exhibits the ability to take the initiative or risk required to identify problems, generate and evaluate alternatives to overcome them, and reach a decision on the most effective strategy for a given solution. Able to make quick decisions and take risks in order to achieve results
Provides leadership to achieve high quality, sustained results that create a consistently high performing organization. Foster an environment that celebrates team success and rewards effective responsiveness to internal and external customers.
Able to make a persuasive argument to influence an audience; develops and uses subtle strategies to influence others; works to make others feel ownership in one’s own solutions; identifies key decision-makers on issues of concern; develops and effectively uses networks, inside and outside of UWGT.
Education: Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- Technical and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Advanced computer abilities
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Time management
- Knowledge of solicitation and revenue generation techniques
- 3-5 years experience in positions with progressively increasing responsibilities related to resource development, event planning, grant writing, major gifts, and planned giving.
- Strong leadership skills with volunteers
- Experience working with and supporting volunteers
- Experience using written and verbal skills and presenting to various size groups
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft products
- Experience working with the Greater Topeka community preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Regular M-F; 8am -5pm
- Quarterly and Special Events may require working outside these hours
- Staff has the option to take a half day on Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day, if weekly hours have been met
Prepared February 1, 2021