Note: United Way of Greater Topeka and United Way of Douglas County have merged as United Way of Kaw Valley (UWKV), serving Shawnee, Douglas, Jackson and Jefferson counties. Please see individual position descriptions for specific service areas and office locations.
Please email resume and cover letter to apply.
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2022.
United Way of Kaw Valley Mission
Until the fight is won.
Creating and cultivating an unbreakable network of support for a strong, healthy, and equitable community.
|Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at UWKVTo truly Live United, we must commit to placing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the forefront of our work, internally and externally.A successful fight for the education, financial stability, and health of every person requires that we listen to, learn from, and amplify the voices of those who are most in need and those who have been traditionally underrepresented.
We recognize that everyone in our United Way community brings value to our mission. We understand every employee, donor, volunteer, partner and stakeholder brings different experiences, perspectives, and expectations.
We respect and encourage insight and participation from all.
We actively promote a variety of voices among our staff, volunteer committees and Board of Directors, and the non-profit community.
We commit to being curious and courageous in how we communicate with each other. We do so in a constant effort to grow and move our community forward together.
Job Title: Director of Workplace Campaigns
Reports To: Vice President of Resource Development
Job Level/Status: Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $40,000-$45,000
Division: Resource Development
The Director of Workplace Campaigns works with volunteers, staff, and other key stakeholders to plan, develop, and execute successful workplace fundraising campaigns in Shawnee, Jackson, and Jefferson Counties. This position requires strong communication, volunteer management, and relationship skills and the drive to inspire donors to connect with our aspiration of creating an unbreakable network of support for a strong, healthy and equitable community.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
Corporate Relationship Building/Stewardship
- Plan, create, and execute key donor relation strategies and efforts in collaboration with the resource development and community impact teams, in support of workplace campaigns.
- Specifically manage and tactically build the organization’s capacity to diversify and expand its workplace campaign with current and new accounts.
- Build relationships across functions/levels within companies including but not limited to executives, midlevel management, foundation, Human Resources, Marketing and Communications.
- Support the expansion and integration of affinity markets (Women United, Young Leaders Society, Always United, etc.) into workplace campaign to increase revenue sources.
- Provide an extremely positive and high-energy approach and be flexible to an ever-changing work environment.
- Implement the “case for giving” (money, time and voice) based on target audience interests, supporting facts, data and perspective.
- Facilitate and integrate change management strategies and practices, as necessary, to meet donor engagement strategies with support from the VP for Resource Development.
- Lead and manage multiple special projects for workplace campaigns and improve donor satisfaction and loyalty; including updating and maintaining the donor database (Andar).
- Develop and implement strategic year-round engagement efforts with targeted companies to increase employee connection with United Way.
- Working externally is key in this role and in cultivating volunteers and donors to attain goals related to generating revenue for United Way. From January to June work presence is assumed to be 50% Internal/50% External. From July to December work presence is projected to be 33% Internal/67% External.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the workplace donor community.
Strategic Planning and Communication
- Through the workplace campaign and year-round cultivation processes, work with the VP of Resource Development to coordinate strategic networking contacts.
- Develop strong working relationships with key internal and external partners: Administration, Communications/Marketing, Impact, volunteers, Board, funded & community partners.
- Develop and deliver effective and convincing messages to varying strategic audiences.
- Communicate a compelling vision and sense of alignment of the core mission and values of United Way and personal mission. Work across departments to support and enhance the customer experience.
- Be an advocate/ambassador to connect, educate, and inspire the community to support United Way’s work
- Think proactively to continuously improve our work.
- Diagnose challenges and decide what actions and changes need to happen to address those challenges, including attaining buy-in and support from other staff.
- Keeps up to date on best practices for fundraising through webinars, trainings, and literature and shares that information with Resource Development Staff
- Provide training, guidance, coaching, and direction to Campaign Ambassadors, Company Campaign Coordinators, and other relevant staff/volunteers related to workplace campaigns
- This position oversees a team of 7-10 volunteer Campaign Ambassadors each fall
Supporting the United Way Team
- Represents UWKV at various community events and, as required, speaks on behalf of UWKV
- Assists with bus tours, major donor events, and other RD events as needed
- Completes special assignments and projects as needed
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Communications, must have the ability to appropriately present information and data in written, electronic, and oral forms to diverse target markets
- Must have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, meet deadlines and attend to details
- Must have the ability to think quick on their feet, anticipate challenges and work to problem-solve and build consensus
- Must have the ability and desire to meet, develop relationships, and work with a variety of people
- Expected to have a commitment to excellence and to the mission of UWKV
- Must accept and abide by UWKV Code of Ethics and confidentiality requirements, along with the Association for Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Standards
- Accept and abide by UWKV Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Guidelines
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Proven skills in developing and implementing project plans, events, and programs
- Strong communications skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Time management with ability to prioritize multiple competing projects
- Knowledge of solicitation and revenue generation techniques
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated technical and analytical skills
- 1-3 years’ experience in positions with progressively increasing responsibilities related to resource development, business, marketing, sales, or public relations
- Strong volunteer management skills
- Experience using written and verbal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office computer applications and data base management
- Experience in developing and implementing volunteer driven programs/activities
- Experience with strategic networking for business goals
- Experience with fundraising mailings, database management, and Data Mining experience preferred
- Experience working with the Greater Topeka community preferred
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Regular M-F; 8am -5pm
- Occasional workplace campaign events may require working outside these hours, particularly from August – November
- Office locations and remote work are subject to negotiation.
- Staff has the option to take a half day on Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day, if weekly hours have been met