2022 Shawnee County Christmas Bureau
|I NEED HELP
|I WANT TO ADOPT
AN INDIVIDUAL OR FAMILY
|I WANT TO DONATE
(options coming soon!)
Thank you to the hundreds of households/families who applied this year. Our intake period has now closed, and we are unable to process additional applications.
For those that were not able to sign up before the deadline, the Salvation Army has a separate Christmas program that will sign people up from November 7 to 23. Please call 785.233.9648 for information. This program is not affiliated with Christmas Bureau through United Way and does NOT use our forms.
The Christmas Bureau is an annual tradition that allows everyone in our community to make the holiday season brighter for our Shawnee County neighbors in need. United Way and other community partners connect thousands of individuals and families to a holiday meal and gifts by matching them with agencies or community “adopters.”
While we have several agency partners that will serve multiple applicants, we also rely on generous members of the community to step up to purchase gifts and food for many Christmas Bureau applicants. We will match applicants with available adopters after the intake process ends on November 5. Information and an online form are available on our adopter page: https://unitedwaytopeka.org/work/cb/adopt/.
2022 Applicant Sign-Up
Sign-up has concluded for 2022.
2023 applications forms will be available in October.
Do You Qualify for Help?
2022 Sign-Up Information/Inscripción para ayuda navideña 2022 (PDF file)
- Everyone living at the same address must register on the same application.
- One adult can register the entire household.
Registering adult MUST BRING
- His/her Photo I.D.
- Proof of Income for the ENTIRE household
- Everyone’s Social Security cards
(copies or document with SSN number listed are also accepted)
Documentation for Proof of Income
Any State assistance or money received for food, rent, etc. is considered income. Bring copies that apply to your household. VISION cards are not proof, you MUST show the award letter from the State.
APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED WITHOUT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION. You will be given your application back and asked to return when you have proper information.
Acceptable forms of income documentation:
- Employment check stub for past 30 days
- SSI, SSC, SSDI or SRS Award Letter—Vision card is not proof of income without the letter
- Veterans Benefit
- Documentation Unemployment Direct Deposit verification letter
- Child Support documentation
- Bank Statements showing Income Direct Deposits
- Medical or Healthwave card for children in household
- Certificate Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB)
2021 Christmas Bureau by the numbers
- 1,074 households served (including 3,587 children)
- More than 60 intake and data entry volunteers who donated more than 400 hours of time and talent worth approximately $12,600.
- 240 adopters, including partners at Topeka Rescue Mission and Doorstep, faith and corporate groups, and individual adopters. If adopters spend an average of 3 hours shopping, wrapping and delivering gifts, the time donated to this volunteer effort is worth more than $20,000.
- Adopters provided gifts and holiday food worth more than $150,000.
Christmas Bureau donors also gave $4,536.22. Money raised helps cover unexpected needs if adopters find themselves unable to complete an adoption once a match is made.
Partners in the Christmas Bureau effort included:
- Community Resource Council
- Salvation Army
- Topeka Housing Authority
- Topeka Rescue Mission
- Doorstep, Inc.
- Let’s Help